Tim Welch Consulting Inc.
Tim Welch Consulting Inc. (TWC) provides a variety of services in the field of affordable housing development, policy research and program administration. The firm has clients across Ontario as well as in other Canadian provinces.
New Affordable Housing Development
Since 2005, TWC has helped twenty affordable housing development projects reach the construction or completion stage, resulting in the the creation of 700 new homes.
Our firm's development clients have included non-profit organizations, housing co-operatives and private sector developers of affordable housing. We support the creation of new, affordable rental housing and affordable home ownership housing.
TWC Development Services
- Writing proposals to successfully access CMHC seed funding for new affordable housing proponents to undertake initial planning work for the new project
- Drafting business plans and project-specific housing needs studies
- Writing proposals to help clients successfully access CMHC Project Development Funding (PDF) to cover significant pre-development costs
- Obtaining rezoning and minor variances for new affordable housing projects
- Writing proposals to successfully access major capital funding for new affordable housing projects
- Helping new housing proponents access construction and permanent mortgage financing
- Working with new housing proponents on the administrative and funding requirements of government housing programs
- Running proposal calls for proponents to select architects, engineers, contractors and property management firms.
Housing Policy Research
TWC has undertaken a variety of housing policy and research tasks, including:
- Housing needs studies
- housing revitalization/intensification studies
- Creating housing strategies or housing action plans for municipalities and community organizations
- Housing and Homelessness program evaluations
- Waiting list surveys
Housing Program Delivery
TWC works with both government and non-profit organizations in the delivery of housing programs, including:
- Designing rental and home ownership program guides
- Writing Expressions of Interest and Requests for Proposal call documents
- Monitoring projects through the complete development and construction phase to ensure compliance with Government program requirements
- Delivering Affordable Ownership assistance programs on behalf of municipalities
- Drafting contribution agreements between municipalities and housing proponents
First Nations Housing Experience
TWC has worked with a number of First Nations organizations to help support the creation of new First Nations housing, including:
- Development consultant for Hotinohsioni Inc./Brant Native Homes for a six-unit townhouse development as well as a 17 units apartment building
- Drafting program guidelines for the Aboriginal Rental Program - GTA and Aboriginal Down Payment Loan Program-GTA on behalf of the Miziwe Biik Development Corporation
- Development consultant for Native Inter-Tribal Housing Co-operative in London to create a 33-unit apartment building
- Development consultant to Nishnawbe Homes for two rental developments (Toronto and Oshawa)
- Development consultant to Sacajawea of Hamilton in the creation of a 6-unit apartment
- Canadian Housing and Renewal Association
- Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association
- Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada
- Presenting at sector provincial and national conferences and new housing development issues